powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any ideas on how to make our contemporary summer house more tradition?
gramercygrl
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Or is their a program we can use to try out different ideas for the exterior? Thanks so much!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Start with shutters on the windows that have none. Add trellises with vines and pots of flowers on each step of the porch.
November 9, 2012 at 6:23PM     
budobetty
Thicker trim around windows would help
November 9, 2012 at 6:57PM     
Anna
Add shutters, extend the porch to a screened in, or glass in
November 9, 2012 at 7:29PM     
smldesigns
Along with wider trim and shutters I would use larger trellises for more impact and maybe a third color for the front door. Extending the front porch and roof line to the drain pipe would also help. Include a railing all around the front porch. Then furnish the larger front porch with a couple of wicker chairs, table and maybe a large pot of flowers or two or a window box under the shuttered window.
November 9, 2012 at 8:01PM     
gramercygrl
Thank you for all the ideas. Was contemplating putting shingles on the house as well? Regarding the shutters, there are two windows in particular that are on the outer edges and wouldn't have room on one side for a shutter. What do you do with that? Any ideas for shutter style? And would extending the roof line result in me having to redo the roof? Thanks!
November 9, 2012 at 8:11PM     
smldesigns
If you extended the roof line you would only have to shingle the roof that you added provided you could still find the same shingles. If you decide to use shingles ($$$$), you might want to use raised panel shutters -not too busy. Otherwise typical louver shutters would work. i have seen people put only 1 shutter but I'm not sure I'd like that. I might just ignore those windows. There's a formula for shutter width - they should be half as wide as the window and they should line up with the top and bottom edge of the window.
November 9, 2012 at 8:26PM     
PRO
OT METAL WORKS / INDUSTRIAL, ENGINEERING, ARTS
You can get help with this free hand sketch
Extend the porch, add new porch with wooden trellis, try to use the stone works as decoration
You can the attached photos for clear idea
November 10, 2012 at 1:17AM     
greenthumb2
Not sure you need shingles. More wood is more of a fire hazard. Being practical. You have loads of trees around your home. :=) Be cautious about adding that much tinder.

The current terrace landing tiles are super contemporary. Cobbles, or stone in rustic shapes would be more cottage-like in nature. Save the contemporary blocks for a project in the yard which may require footing of some sort.
November 10, 2012 at 4:23AM     
smldesigns
I like the idea of adding a wooden trellis to the porch. I would add it to the far right side blocking out the view to the part of the house to the right with the unshuttered windows.
November 10, 2012 at 7:09AM     
bethrat
Consider Bahama shutters to save space
November 10, 2012 at 8:43AM     
victorianbungalowranch
What stands out to me is that the window next to the door with the shutters on it is way too small to be in scale with the others and the exposed area.

I think the siding is fine--vertical siding is traditional too--and it is a nice color I think. And I don't think total window replacement is worth it. It is a good start and it is much easier and cheaper to work with what you have, maybe just changing the siding with paint, and making expensive changes later when needed.

Wider casing with a traditional profile and plantation shutters over the windows are traditional and practical too to keep out the sun and can close up for bad weather. An open pergola of extended rafter tails the same slope as your roof or extending the porch will go a long way to make it look more traditional. Nice thick mullions would help too, ideally on both sides of the window--you might be able to order custom grills. Landscaping would help a great deal too.

Never put just one shutter on a window, unless it is a small window and the shutter can "cover" the entire thing, and only on really rustic inspired type houses--wouldn't work here. Also don't put skinny shutters on picture windows. And shutters don't have to go on every window. Shutters look best if they are operational, or look like they can be operational, with hinges, shutterdogs and mounted on the window frame. The little shutters you have are distracting to me, and a taller wider window (without the porch/pergola, or a wider window (with it) would look better, or maybe more than one window like this,

Personally with the clean lines of your house, I would focus on a nice porch or pergola with nice thick railings and a lintel (you don't have one and it visually makes the heavy roof look supported. Simple Tuscan (what you have) or square or square tapered collumns would look good. My preference would be square, possibly with a base block and a bit of thin molding a bit down from the top to add a bit of dimension. A porch will make the house look more welcoming too, and you can up the traditional quotient with a porch valance or awning and some bigger trellises with vines.

Do not just use 6x6s--they will look too thin for the height and size of your house. Make sure all facing is properly flashed and slanted, and installed with spacers to avoid trapped moisture. Avoid any plan flat surface--it will trap water and look bad quickly.
November 10, 2012 at 9:54AM     
victorianbungalowranch
Oh, your steps are wider than I thought. It might be functional to have steps on the other end of the porch too to make if more functional for the narrow sideyard and to enjoy the view down the hill.

Putting shutters on the side windows isn't neccessary because they aren't that visable.
November 10, 2012 at 9:58AM   
PRO
Zara Grace Home
I would actually go ahead and replace and enlarge the windows with divided light or "faux" divided light windows and them shutter them. Adding more cottage style planting will also go a long way.
November 10, 2012 at 10:33AM     
gramercygrl
I'm thinking right now, shutters will be an improvement. I'm not about to replace windows since at this stage, we can't afford it! I'm going to price out extending the porch area, and thus roof line. Any ideas on what would be reasonable to pay for this in East Hampton, NY? Also, what style of shutter would you recommend? Thank you for all the fantastic ideas!
November 10, 2012 at 11:28AM   
gramercygrl
I'm thinking right now, shutters will be an improvement. I'm not about to replace windows since at this stage, we can't afford it! I'm going to price out extending the porch area, and thus roof line. Any ideas on what would be reasonable to pay for this in East Hampton, NY? Also, what style of shutter would you recommend? Thank you for all the fantastic ideas!
November 10, 2012 at 11:28AM   
Sara Parker
Hanging baskets of ferns in the summer and evergreens in the winter will say "traditional" in a hurry. So will a rocking chair if there is room on the porch.
November 10, 2012 at 12:00PM     
smldesigns
Louver or panel shutters. While you are getting prices on extending the roof - just for yucks find out how much it would be to peak the entire roof front to back - not the part to the right. It might not say Hamptons, but it would say Cape.
November 10, 2012 at 12:18PM   
puttycake
The narrow windows are adding to the sense that it is a traditional home Larger windows, more on the proportion of a traditional home would help a lot. The trim outside the windows is very traditional. needs more depth. I would agree with adding shutters. Shake shingles would change the look a lot, but I am not sure where this home is and if it is appropriate for the area. if you did the shingle, I would agree with the comments above. Probably would need to have the old siding taken off and not just installed on top.
November 10, 2012 at 7:02PM   
puttycake
The narrow windows are adding to the sense that it is a traditional home Larger windows, more on the proportion of a traditional home would help a lot. The trim outside the windows is very traditional. needs more depth. I would agree with adding shutters. Shake shingles would change the look a lot, but I am not sure where this home is and if it is appropriate for the area. if you did the shingle, I would agree with the comments above. Probably would need to have the old siding taken off and not just installed on top.
November 10, 2012 at 7:02PM   
Tash Dubbs
Have you considered flower baskets under the windows with draping ferns/ flowers
November 10, 2012 at 7:18PM     
Kate Hinmon
Maybe try to add more wood into the house....but don't make it to overwhelming. Don't overpower.
November 10, 2012 at 7:27PM   
houzyadoin
My thoughts are that adding siding or extending the roof line could actually run higher than just replacing the windows with single hungs with a traditional divided light appearance. Say 6 over 1 or 4 over 1. (Six window panes over one window of a single hung windows) The window to the right of the front door appears short for roof height and if inside there is room; you could replace the window with an arched or a widow that has a upper section. It could also be where an extension of the taller window; could have a shed or dormer roof over it. If you do consider to go as far in thought. Meet with an architect and look at a couple options to what you are trying to achieve; it's probably worth the dollars in reaching a decision and determine costs. The appearance has that of potential old barn feel. Also consider flower boxes under the windows to give that time aged warmth of tradition appeal. If you do go with a shingle siding. Look for pricing a cementitious siding. It can have better fire ratings than the wood shingles. If any work around the porch consider this; your column has a Federal period look and the house does not have that form. Don't know if that is the look you prefer. Perhaps a more squared column to a more square country estate feel. Extending the roof at the porch with a pediment can give it traditional more formal sense of entrance and possibly increase it. For possibly as mentioned earlier a couple of rockers or bench. Formalizing the garden will also help create that traditional lawn/garden feel to the house. Enjoy! you have such lush plants all around; you will be sure to be outside there alot! Thanks for sharing!
November 11, 2012 at 6:57AM   
lyvia
To me, from a distance, the most contemporary part is the way the roof cuts in over the window with shutters. Could you build the porch out this way, or patio, with a pergola that visually extends the roof line? More white railing and a few wicker rocking chairs would be cool.

For windows that won't fit shutters, look into small awnings.

And as long as we are spending your money (grin!) think about a porch that ends in a fireplace, near where the roofline drops. Stone is traditional, would anchor the whole facade, disguise the sharp roofline drop, while adding more traditional vertical line with the chimney, and be fun to use.
November 11, 2012 at 11:52AM   
Srinivasa M
very nice
November 11, 2012 at 6:26PM   
Srinivasa M
very nice
Srinivasa M
very nice
PRO
Prime Siding and General Carpentry
You can purchase vinyl shutters. They aren't real shutters as they are screwed to the wall and are never half the width of the window. However, they are uniform and adds to the look of the house. A lot of the homes we add them to look much better even though the window may be 4 times the size of the shutter. They may not line up 100% either with the window height, so we usually center them, though they are never so much shorter that it's clearly noticeable from a distance.
November 11, 2012 at 7:28PM   
Mark Palmer
Add a roof deck - you know, like a widow's walk, where you can climb up there and enjoy the view, maybe pitch a tent for the night. Then, move the house to an oceanfront location ;-)
November 11, 2012 at 9:44PM   
davidadietz
download Google Sketchup - it's free and it's really easy to use. You can recreate your house in 3d and make all kinds of modifications. lots of tutorials on youtube to get you started.
November 13, 2012 at 12:55AM   
dafianti
I hope these pictures can give you an idea,...
November 13, 2012 at 1:29AM   
gramercygrl
Thank you!
November 13, 2012 at 10:33AM   
Ute Faber
I think a wider patio tile pathway to the side of the house with a patio. To anchor the patio I would get a 12' high Cedar Pergola with some louvres on the one side so your neighbours cannot peek in. Also a retractable canopy may do the trick to extend the season a little bit. http://www.outdoorlivingtoday.com/oltss/storefront/products.php?category=pergolas
November 23, 2012 at 2:16PM   
Srinivasa M
wonder
November 25, 2012 at 5:33AM