Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Upstairs foyer
fairviewbonnie
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just painted the banister black. Now trying to figure out what to do with the area. One thought is to do a wall of black framed pictures and no furniture. Open to any ideas. I already know the left over furniture needs to go.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
If you have kids, this looks like the perfect place for video game playing. It can't be seen from the common area so who cares about the cords? A couple of bean bag chairs and happy campers.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 7:54AM
fairviewbonnie
We are now grandparents, so the reading nook idea is very appealing. love the link with the white wall cabinet, cozy chair and light. I guess I would have to have that built! Thanks! This is my first time using this site and I am most impressed.
6 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:39PM
Christine
Library.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 4:12PM
Yvonne Kronberg
Love the black bannisters! How did you do that? What kind of paint/stain? Looks like it was a lot of work!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 4:27PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Or you could do your stairway wall as a picture wall and then you won't be left with the blank wall. And think of what you need this space to function as...don't be afraid to set chairs or small furniture in front of the railing.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 4:30PM
fairviewbonnie
Yvonne, the way I painted the banisters is...use only Wooster's sponge brushes, clean the wood with a cleaner, sand it using a fine sandpaper, wipe clean, wrap the white spindles with the blue tape at the top, then paint banisters with low sheen oil black paint, remove tape a few hours after finishing, use q-tips and turpentine to clean up any oops! (oh, and I applied two coats of black paint). That is how you do it!! thanks for your comments.
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 7:24PM
designboy
My first thought was a low backless bench, and art about. Clean, but traditional. Light the art with a spot to give the area some dimension and mood. I would paint that wall a different color from the rest to give it more of an architecural feature. If possible down the road, I would add wood flooring in a really dark chocolate brown to compliment the banister. :D
3 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 8:55PM
ccwatters
I like the idea of very simple, clean line black-framed wall art, maybe 3 in a row? I might put a comfy, narrow depth loveseat beneath the art (see idea of size/style of love seat below). Perfect for curling up to read or chat on the phone. You could also use one large [black frame] picture with black sconces on each side, in the event you lose the room you need for a lamp.

[houzz=
]

Or...You could put a comfy chair on angle in the corner (acrosss from closet door), as long as the closet door clears it. This could allow for the art to span from top to bottom....pictures of family, grandchildren, etc.....something you could take in while you are cozied up in the chair.

I would put a slipcovered ottoman on "carpet-sliders" that can be moved in/out of the way depending on when you are using the space (the slipcover will hide the sliders).

You're lucky to have the room to create a cozy little place like that, I'm jealous ;)
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 9:32PM
fairviewbonnie
CC, thanks for your ideas. love getting all this feedback.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 3:47AM
Michele Leal
you can use the place to relax
3 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 11:09AM
movethisnotthat
very nice, the railing looks fab, why not repurpose the desk, paint it black too, place a bright ottoman in the knee hole, and your idea of pictures in black frames would be striking. do 3 matching ottomans, 3 big pictures all in black and white, skip the floor lamp for 2 buffet lamps on the desk
3 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 11:47AM
suzie123
I love the idea of a low and comfortable bench which would not require having a builder come. I also love the idea of black framed photos above the bench.
it looks like a great space already!
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 12:50PM
judianna20
Not exactly your style, but the idea is what I likeā€¦a beautiful mirror and two chairs with the black of your railing incorporated into the fabric. Show off that black!

2 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 1:00PM
arklein
Looks like there is plenty of room for a chest but think the narrow-depth love seat would be perfect! That gives you some wall space for either a statement mirror and sconces on either side or black-framed pictures scattered in a salon-wall style, and still creates a cozy seating area.
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 1:19PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
Hi, I also love the black railing and love the idea of a "grandparent" nook with a place for books and toys....This pottery barn Logan set could be utilized without the tv and putting a cushion across it instead. The adjustable shelves could be removed in favor of canvas toy boxes.....The components are easy to work with and don't require a carpenter. I am also attaching a reading nook that did require a carpenter as he built custom shelving to house a client's books and photos.
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 1:45PM
PRO
Decorative Arts & Design
Not sure what the door at the end leads into, but if that's a working door that must be considered. I would place a sized appropriately chest or console with a great piece of art and lighting.....the natural light looks sufficient, I would add a small tree in a nice pot.....Is there wood under the carpet???
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 2:49PM
simplify52
I love movethisnotthat's idea. I would repurpose the desk there painted black. I love the idea of the ottoman in keyhole and I think I would upholster it in a citrus green chevron print and hang the black frames as suggested. So cute!!!
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 4:16PM
getgrowing
Could be a reading area with a chair, throws and a small shelf of books.. Use an old rocker or leftover chair from another spot that can be recovered to add a touch of colour...or stay with greys and black and warm whites
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 4:43PM
PRO
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
So many people clutter their hallway with unwanted furniture that they never use. What if you installed floor to ceiling bookcases, are you a big reader and could use the storage space? Another idea is to curate a collection of family photos and make it a gallery area, this is always a good solution for personal spaces outside the bedrooms.
2 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 4:54PM
puttycake
Really nice job on the painting of the banister. It looks GREAT!

These are all great comments, but you have a challenge with the door to the left and the low window (assuming you need to access that door and window!) ... You cannot block them with a lot of furniture or a window seat, so the best thing is to take advantage of the area where the desk and chair are. Do you need a space to use as a desk area? Do you want to use the desk and chair? If so, they would look great with the same black paint that you used on the banister. Change up the picture for a bold larger-scale picture hung at eye level that is as wide as your desk. If you are more monochromatic (black) with the desk and chair, the picture would look smashing. Re-upholster the chair with a tweedy black and gray hounds tooth or some smaller print that won't compete with your print and tuck the chair into the desk. Consider placing a nice green, large-scale plant where the chair sits. A nice goose neck lamp on the desk will provide a pleasant & welcoming night light for the top of the stairs. You could also refinish the existing lamp by spray painting is black and treat it to a cool drum shade.
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 5:54PM
fairviewbonnie
The door is to the attic. What great ideas from everyone! Thank you!
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:46PM
lglulu
Like the black railing! Want to do that myself, but my bannister is drywalled in, not spindles. Also have the family picture wall on my stairway with assorted sizes, but only black frames (assorted styles, mix and match) and black & white photos (some just from photocopy of color pics). Think you would really enjoy it! I agree with earlier comment to paint your desk same as railing & add much larger artwork above desk...either bright colors or black & white would be great! Maybe something you've painted yourself?? But it should be something you really love to see.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 7:45PM
tegroves
Black railing looks great.... No one will ever use the desk...it looks dated..like the ideas of hardwood floors...bench..no back...pics above
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 8:15PM
PRO
Suzette Sherman Design
I agree with Decorative Arts and Design. First too much green color all the same .My thought was also can you take up the carpet and sand the wood floor? Can't tell what condition the carpet is in? If not the wall color needs to change to break up all the same color & tone.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 1:35AM
decoenthusiaste
Search the box above for IKEA Billy, a bookcase component system, and you'll see that you don't necessarily have to have built-in's to pull off the look you like.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 2:10AM
PRO
Red Pepper Design & Cabinetry
Love the black rail and think a creative wall of photos, artwork would be great. The window treatment is important too. don't know your style in the rest of the house so more info is neede to weigh in on that.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 10:14AM
fairviewbonnie
If I pull that wallpaper off the wall, what color should I paint the wall? The carpet has plywood under it.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 12:26PM
fairviewbonnie
Window treatments throughout the house have moved to roman shades, some with cornices. so this window needs updating.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 12:30PM
Ann
I would either do a Luten bench with the black framed B/W photos or as someone else mentioned small table & small chairs at the rail and colorful art floor to ceiling.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 12:40PM
decoenthusiaste
Color may depend on what you plan to furnish with. If you start by selecting art or an area rug that should set your color trend.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 1:11PM
PRO
Silver Moon Designs
Paint the feature wall black, and add photographs and artwork in black frames, flank both sides of the wall with sconces. Where does the door by the window go?
Use luxuriously textured drapery hung high and wide, that covers & stacks to the left and right on the wall (thereby covering the door) but choose drapery rings that allow for the right stack to move over when you need to access door. Place the sconces symmetrically inside of the drapery, and the frames inside the sconces from ceiling to floor.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 6:07PM
cvanrooy
The big wall would look stunning with large black and white canvas photos of your family using odd numbers works well when arranging a collage.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 3:00AM
queenmother1993
did you spray the railing or brush it on?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 7:30PM
queenmother1993
did you spray the railing or brush it on?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 7:30PM
fairviewbonnie
I used oil and a Wooster sponge brush. First I cleaned the banisters, lightly sanded with fine sandpaper, wiped clean, then painted 2 coats. The sponge brush worked great.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 8:33PM
fairviewbonnie
Here is the after picture of my reading nook
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 2:52PM
fairviewbonnie
I still have some work to do with the walls and furniture. But decided to hold off until after the holidays. It is very comfortable and cozy with the new wall fireplace. Still open for comments. Anything can be changed.
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 3:00PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Looks like a nice and cozy reading nook!
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 3:42PM
Michele Leal
Congratulations...very very good....In my oppinion you should put some frames with pictures up the place for books...Side the clock...Pictures in "sepia" and frames black and white would be a great idea...
2 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 8:10AM
decoenthusiaste
It looks great! Keep us posted as you tweak!
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 10:01AM
nevadan
Keep kids a way from this area. Very dangerous for them. The area is so very small - just have bookcases or other cabinets built in. If you don't have a lot of stuff now, you soon will.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 10:13AM
fairviewbonnie
Thanks Nevada for your Safety comments. my husband already mentioned that concern. We have 7 GKids, all are old enough except for two, so we will address this the next time they come over.

Michele, I will try adding those pictures. Thanks everyone. love the feedback.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 8:55PM
Angie Tupa
small sitting area with 2 arm chars and a small table
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 8:58PM
fairviewbonnie
Can someone with photoshop make that one wall black? I would love to paint it, but need to see how it would look.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:11PM