Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Windows, walls, everything
November 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
So excited to hear from you! New start, new house. Please help me to make it welcoming and warm (we live in Canada). We have 2 teens. The big windows are viewed from the main floor and the basement (the pic with the fireplace). I have no confidence but lots of willingness to listen. Thank you!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Those windows are such a feature, I hate that you are covering them with the tab top drapery. Can you see your way clear to replace that with top down/bottom up blinds? I've attached a pic for you. You can get electric ones with remote control to use from both rooms without touching the blinds. I think they'd be great for these unusual windows. Would also suggest a drum chandy for your entry hung about 2.5 feet lower than your current light fixture. A second drum 36" above the dining table would be good. A set of three pendants over the island would work nicely. If you are into big projects, I think the island could work well turned the other direction with a bar top and stools for teen snacking and homework. Would look for a larger more formal table with chairs for entertaining more than four of you. I encourage you to continue with a buildout of the cabinets by the fridge. Bring them all the way out to the light switch. You obviously need the space and storage and a computer desk. You need some area rugs for the seating area and the dining area. Under table rug should be 4 feet larger each way than the table top. Lots more we could talk about doing, but that is a good start.
Window Coverings
Window coverings - Silhouette
Jamie Young Co. Large Drum Pendant
Metal Rim White Chandelier
November 26, 2012 at 8:47pm   
I looked at blinds last night. Double honey comb, top down, bottom up. I didn't ask about electronic though? A neutral colour?
I actually have a large maple table that was my Grandmothers that needs to move in!!
Shouild I add drapes? Any paint colour suggestions?
Many thanks.
November 27, 2012 at 5:27am   
We really do need more storage. What kind of add on to the kitchen? I'd love to have something other than oak if that's possible. We presently have a fake bookcase in the sitting area. Should it be replaced or eliminated?
November 27, 2012 at 3:13pm   
Jenny Johnson
I wish I lived closer to you!! The potential of this space is incredible!!!
November 27, 2012 at 4:52pm   
Jenny Johnson
Can I see your backsplash? I can make suggestions for paint colours...we can go room by room. Do you like bold colours? Where in Canada do you live? What is close? A home depot??
November 27, 2012 at 4:55pm   
My daughter is laughing at my excitement! I just learned how to download photos too!
Here is the best backsplash photo. To me it has grey and maybe a hint of blue. The counter is mostly black. I also attached the fireplace in the basement as the tile is the same.
I live in Southern Alberta. We have a Home Depot!
I am a pastel fan, but since I have found HOUZZ I realize that I love pops of colour too. Especially greens and blue.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
November 27, 2012 at 5:52pm   
Jenny Johnson
Ok got them...I have a few questions..do you collect anything that you display in your kitchen? What colour is your fridge/stove/toaster?

Not too long ago I re-did a home that was all pastels...I had free reign on the house! The owners are now bold colour lovers!

Now that you are uploading pics...can I see one of the kitchen? It helps me to see the wall structure...
Plus, I am a visual person. I am a big fan of Behr paint...and they have that at Home depot:) you can buy whatever, but you have access to the same swatches as me!
November 27, 2012 at 6:04pm   
Jenny Johnson
Opps...sorry...I see the picture now:)
November 27, 2012 at 6:05pm   
I don't really collect any thing and and nothing in the kitchen.
I went to several furniture stores today. I realized that I've never bought anything or tried to find what I like. Lots of hand-me-downs and gifts and other things to spend money on!
November 27, 2012 at 6:15pm   
Jenny Johnson
Ok...so...this is what I am thinking..you give me your thoughts...How about a bold colour on the top part of the wall..a lighter colour on the bottom part..and then around the cupboards and the wall with the arched window the bold colour??
November 27, 2012 at 6:19pm   
tennisanyone
I would add a black china cabinet or buy one unfinished and stain it yourself to match the table and appliances and put it next the the desk. Take the two chairs and put them at either of the table or turn the table the other way and buy another bench or all new chairs.
November 27, 2012 at 6:36pm     
There is a ledge along the top of the kitchen. That top part connects with the wall behind the arched window and the wall at the front door. Would that be all one color?
I lied about the counter top, it has specks of dark brown and specks of black.
November 27, 2012 at 6:39pm   
Jenny Johnson
My thoughts so far!! are to do the wall with the door and the arched window one bold colour...make the bold continue to the top part of the ledge. The lighter colour would be near the cupboards. (or we can flip it and do it the opposite...) do you understand my thoughts?
November 27, 2012 at 6:45pm   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi newbie, Marie here.

Go white with your duettes or silhouette window treatments - it will tie in nicely with your window trim colour. Then you can add soft drapery panels if you feel you need some softness down the road.

My best advice to you for picking paint, new upholstery, drapes etc. is find the original samples of what was put into your home. And, if you can not afford to have a licensed decorator come out to your home and give you a colour consultation, then head to your local furniture store with all your paint, countertop, cabinetry and tile swatches. They will help you pick a paint colour that ties into all your existing finishes.

Hate the orange and brown paint in the basement rec room - really isn't doing anything for the space.
Add a splash of colour on an accent wall, but make sense as to why you are using it - in accessories, toss cushion, something.

To give colour advice online is simply asking for another disaster. Spend a couple hundred dollars and have someone out to help you with the key colours for your home, it truly is worth the cost to get it right the first time... some images of local Canadian homes I've designed with a splash of colour - so important to get it right, while nodding to the bones of your home...
November 27, 2012 at 6:48pm   
Jenny Johnson
Here is one suggestion...(this is a very safe suggestion..Im a BOLD colour lover) tell me if you want me to mellow out..or get more drastic!
Oregano Spice (a greenish colour) and Chateau (tan/beige colour) not too dark, but warm!
November 27, 2012 at 6:49pm   
Well so far, we're all in agreement about ditching the black drapes and the colours in the basement!!!

Can't find anything from previous owners, but I'll keep digging.
Long story short.... back together with hubbie after 4 yr split and excited about redoing life. Will have to work around the boys tastes as well. I really like the Oregano Spice!
I've asked for a consult but would love to have ideas in pocket. Can I combine fun and smart together. We're definitely not formal, but I'd love to get to "put together well".
November 27, 2012 at 7:10pm   
Jenny Johnson
You said no red right???
What I would suggest and I always do it..Is I got to home depot get a few of the small behr colour samples (on sale right now) and paint a small patch on the wall and live with it for a few days...see the colour, how it works, what you feel about it.

I have a playful option, but have never used it myself, so you would have to try it out...not sure about the colour in person...
Juniper ash and cumin...its hard to see in a picture...but the juniper ash looks darker then it is..and the ground cumin is more vivid then the pic...

Is this more fun?
November 27, 2012 at 7:25pm   
I love both sets of colours so far!!
How would I tie it to the basement. The opposite wall with the soon-to-be-gone curtains is upstairs and downstairs!
Anything to get away from the present basement colours!!!
November 27, 2012 at 7:31pm   
Jenny Johnson
Do you have a fabricville?
November 27, 2012 at 7:34pm   
We have a Fabricland but no fabricville
November 27, 2012 at 7:38pm   
Jenny Johnson
Yes! Same...do you like this? I took this the other day.
Im in PEI...Funny how its land or ville...
November 27, 2012 at 7:43pm     
Jenny Johnson
Grand rapids and simple silhouette:) I love this together...maybe for the basement and the find a good colour to mesh it all together?
November 27, 2012 at 7:52pm   
Great fabric! A friend of mine introduced me to Warehousefabrics Inc
Have you seen their choices?
November 27, 2012 at 8:00pm   
Jenny Johnson
No, that is the first I am hearing of them! I will google!
November 27, 2012 at 8:01pm   
I like some of the retro stuff but hubbie not so much. My daughter like the Trellis French Blue.
November 27, 2012 at 8:04pm   
Jenny Johnson
What company is that so I can look?
November 27, 2012 at 8:07pm   
I'm not sure.
Google Warehousefabricsinc and then put it in the search box and it will come up. It is a blue with dark brown swirls.
November 27, 2012 at 8:10pm   
Jenny Johnson
OHHH..i thought it was a paint colour..I wasnt showing you the fabric as curtain ideas. I just wanted to get your thoughts on the colours.
November 27, 2012 at 8:12pm   
Ooops!! Trying to figure out too much at once! Sorry about that :)
November 27, 2012 at 8:13pm   
Kim D
GO PATS!!!!
November 28, 2012 at 8:03am   
movethisnotthat
newbie, do you have a favorite piece of art/picture or a rug ? Those would great places to start with your excitement as you begin another chapter in your life. Rugs would help personalize your space and make it "warmer". Pillows and throws to add texture and layers to your living room. what does the rest of your living room look like? As mentioned adding another bench to the table and placing the other 2 chairs on the end of the table will help, Not sure your antique table will fit your style, lets see that too, painting your cabinets would help tie your table into your space too, (black lower cabinets, leave the uppers alone, add a hutch/armoire to the empty cabinet wall. Under cabinet lighting will perk up your kitchen too. Is the island attached to the floor or portable? Looking forward to seeing your progress.Congrats on the new house!
November 28, 2012 at 10:58am   
If I could incorporate The Patriots into the basement I'm sure the boys would love me for ever. Prior to games all 18 jerseys of the house are proudly and superstitiously hung around the room!
November 28, 2012 at 11:59am   
Hi movethisnotthat!
I will try to get a photo taken of the other table tonight. What about the right tablecloth?
I do want a hutch or cabinet of some sort.
Thanks for your help.
November 28, 2012 at 12:03pm   
Hi deco enthusiast,
I moved the island last night! I'll send a picture after work. It sure looks different!
Thank you for all ideas.
November 28, 2012 at 12:04pm   
Does this look better?
November 28, 2012 at 3:31pm   
tennisanyone
I like the island the other way. Turn the table the other way.
November 28, 2012 at 3:52pm   
stephanieterranova
I like the island turned that way! I think it looks so much better!
November 29, 2012 at 12:49pm   
I like facing out. I'll have to give it some time to try it out.
November 29, 2012 at 1:19pm   
Is this a better table and chairs?
November 29, 2012 at 7:28pm     
Hi Jenny!
The colour/paint consultant came yesterday and one of the colours she suggested is a beautiful sage:
Benjamin Moore Killarney. I am probably going to go quite neutral and add bursts of colour since we are now talking about fixing it up to sell.
I'm very excited to have a few ideas. Now I just need the courage to get started. Perhaps I'll start with the bathrooms and work my way out :)
December 8, 2012 at 7:06pm